Monday, June 30, 2008

Yes, Ono You're a Witch


Today I went to (ak.'sa.ra) Kemang, at first I was looking for Goldfrapp's latest album; Seventh Tree. But it ended up, that I couldn't find it anywhere. So rather than went home with empty-handed. I bought Yoko Ono's album; Yes, I'm a Witch. I never listened to Ono before, but I knew she is an avant-garde musician. I was distracted by her song list on the back cover. There's plenty of favorite musicians of mine featured in Ono's album, such as Peaches, Le Tigre, Apples in Stereo, Cat Power, The Polyphonic Spree. After a little consideration and got called by my father for a few times because he needed the driver. So I bought it in a hurry, didn't have time to listen it first. On second thought; why not bought an album that featured my favorite musicians of all time in one pack?

I listened to it all the way home. It sound quirky and surreal at first, I was waiting for Peaches to sing on track 3 but her vocals didn't show up it was only Ono's, so I skipped to track 10 on the intro it sound typically Cat Power, but again only Ono's vocals. Curious, so I browsed on internet about it. I found out that all the artists that were featured in, only contribute to remix or cover a song from Ono's back catalogue. According to the press release, nearly every artist chose only the vocals, and created entirely new backing tracks to demonstrate the versatility of Ono's compositions.

Here is the track list:
1. Hank Shocklee – "Witch Shocktronica Intro"
2. Peaches – "Kiss Kiss Kiss"
3. Shitake Monkey – "O'Oh"
4. Blow Up – "Everyman... Everywoman"
5. Le Tigre – "Sisters O Sisters"
6. Porcupine Tree – "Death of Samantha"
7. DJ Spooky – "Rising"
8. The Apples in Stereo – "Nobody Sees Me Like You Do"
9. The Blood Brothers – "Yes, I'm a Witch"
10. Cat Power – "Revelations"
11. The Polyphonic Spree – "You and I"
12. Jason Pierce (from Spiritualized) – "Walking on Thin Ice"
13. Antony and Hahn Rowe – "Toyboat"
14. The Flaming Lips – "Cambridge 1969/2007"
15. The Sleepy Jackson – "I'm Moving On"
16. Hank Shocklee – "Witch Shocktronica Outro"
17. Craig Armstrong – "Shiranakatta (I Didn't Know)"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think my personal fave celebrity is [url=http://celebritynews.trustedblog.com/?p=4]Kim Kardashian[/url] What do you people think of her? Kim is very exotic to me.
Loving imarshathereforeiam.blogspot.com by the way, nicest website I've found in a long time. Anyone know where I can get more pics of her? So far I just have these two ([url=http://pinoycpa.org/celebritygossip/?p=3]Kim Kardashian[/url])