Friday, May 30, 2008

The Kills

Currently I'm overplaying this quirky-duo garage punk band called The Kills. When I first listened to it, it seemed that there’s nothing special with their music. I was wrong, then. I fall for their heavily-distorted upper guitar-strings into the rhythmic bases for each track I’ve listened; they were amazing, frizzling fast into my ears.

The Kills consist of Alison "VV" Mosshart and Jamie "Hotel" Hince. These two have been making music for the past year and doing a lot of home recordings where they live in the UK as well. Mosshart was previously in Floridian punk rock band Discount, and Hince was in the British rock bands Scarfo and Blyth Power, the latter an anarcho-punk band. The duo first met when Mosshart heard Hince practicing in the hotel room above hers, and when the former groups disbanded they struck up a songwriting partnership. For months, the pair air mailed work tapes across the Atlantic; this proved to test the patience of both artists as it took days or weeks to get each others tapes. And it didn’t work. Frustrated, VV traded Florida sun for London rain in January, and found that her leap of faith paid off.

They began their career with Year Zero project. They renamed themselves as VV and Hotel respectively and began writing sparse, minimalist songs together with the aid of a drum machine.

Here are their studio albums:

Keep on Your Meanside (2003)



No Wow (2005)


Midnight Boom (2008)

Alison "VV" Mosshart
For me, I always have thing for heroin chic looks. I think it's really sexy in mysterious way by anorexian looky, pale skin, dark circles underneath the eyes, and jutting bones (e.g. Kate Moss [eventhough I don't like to call her as an example] and Edie Sedgwick). When the first time I saw her. I was blown away by her onstage swagger and intensity that makes any other musician look like spinal tap. When it came to rock n' roll I realized that she's the real deal. She is my definition of cool. VV smoke ciggs and almost looks anorexia.





Hell yeah I love her cranky personal style!

And also she does this cover album for Placebo's recent album, Meds (2006).
Her collaboration with Placebo is featured in Meds.
Fyi: Brian Molko from Placebo has been friends with Jamie Hince for almost 17 years.


Videos

URA Fever


Cheap and Cheerful


Last Day of Magic

No comments: